Theme for 2019-2020
What does freedom mean to me?
The purpose of the AMVETS Americanism Contest (Program) is to promote pride in being an American, or a sense of pride in American values for all youth in grades K-12. Additionally, it’s designed to encourage a sense of respect and honor to the men and women who have serve our country, and those who are currently serving our country, in the armed forces. It’s our sincere hope that the administrators and teachers alike will take this opportunity to express their pride in being an American to their students, which in turn inspires the students to participate in this unique patriotic program.
All students in grades K-12 who attend public, private, parochial schools, Sunday schools, home schooled, or members of any youth organization, are eligible to enter. It’s our hope that presenting awards to the awardees 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards given per grade, in front of their peers, will inspire more participation in the subsequent years, and remind our youth of the importance of being patriotic, and our AMVETS appreciation of their participation in our Americanism Contest.
1) The primary goal for this year’s Americanism Contest is to increase participation.
2) As a secondary goal, we want to at least sustain the level of last year’s participation.
3) The third goal is to have a winner per grade to submit to the National AMVETS Americanism Contest.
1) Determine what schools/organizations you’ll be soliciting for participation. School/Organization Administrator approval is a must; however, personal contact with the teachers, or youth group leaders, is advised.
2) Make an adequate amount of copies for distribution.
3) Seek Post funding for local winners.
4) Draft a cover letter which includes a due date and a phone number of your Post POC.
5) Screen the entries to insure program compliance.
6) Grade the entries and forward your 1st place winners to AMVETS Department of California, Attn: Americanism Chairperson, 157 South K Street, Tulare, CA. 93274. Include a copy of the completed applications attached to applicable Entry Forms and project i.e. colored flag, poster, or essay. Entry should be received by 5-10-19. Entries may be submitted up to the Friday night of the 2019 AMVETS Department of California state convention.